The Cracked Mug v 2.0

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

I feel like "cozy" as a game genre has always functionally been a thing (Harvest Moon games, off the top of my head, and probably those old FB games where you manage restaurants or dress up characters), but "cozy" as a term feels newer so what the heck did we call them before

User avatar
Fetian
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 pm
.oO: Look at me, still talking when there's science to do

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by Fetian »

I think they were lumped into "casual" when that became a thing (and I feel like "cozy" became a term because "casual" got negative associations), and before that I think there wasn't a catchall genre for them, they were just put into the other genres they fit into ('farming sim' for Harvest Moon, &c)

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

Yeah, and I feel like "lifestyle sim" got used as a really broad stroke, too

I also have thoughts about how cozy gaming took off w/ the pandemic because games with low and peaceful stakes where you have control of your environment were understandably appealing but I have no clue if cozy gaming actually took off or if it just seemed like it did in my particular bubble

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

Extremely lukewarm take: D&D combat can absolutely be a slog but most of the time the burden for making it not a slog is on the players, not the DM

Like yeah the DM should encourage prepared turns and snappy combat but if you have to wait ten minutes to take your turn and start off by going "hmmmmmmmm so, hang on, lemme see what spells I have" then you are, in fact, the problem

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

And yeah sure sometimes the turn right before yours will goof your plan but dear god at least have figured out where you are, where the bad guy is, and your basic goal (do damage, heal, interact with environment, whatever) because these turns translate to seconds of "real time" and the longer a round takes the less that feels true

yes I did have D&D last night why do you ask

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

Color theory is made up

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

But Erika aren't you color blind

Yeah okay fair

User avatar
Fetian
Posts: 4592
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 pm
.oO: Look at me, still talking when there's science to do

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by Fetian »

It is made up though

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

While I'm complaining about random things this is definitely a competing needs thing or whevs but I am finding it increasingly alienating when adult spaces expect all mentions of alcohol, drugs, sex, weapons, etc to be spoiler tagged

Like, I get it, and I want the majority of people to feel safe

But it also feels extremely puritanical and puts me off

User avatar
erikakaiser
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:39 pm
Pronouns: she/her
.oO: power of friendship 🐀👑

Re: The Cracked Mug v 2.0

Unread post by erikakaiser »

someone get Ann Reardon to do an episode about wtf happened to those opaque gummy snacks

these bitches:

Screenshot 2024-05-18 114155.png

Did they just fall out of favor because translucent gummies seem more like fruit juice and therefore more "natural" or is the component that makes them matte actually a carcinogen or something

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply