erikavonkaiser wrote: ↑Sun Jul 20, 2025 1:39 amWe played lots of Magic the Gathering, did a marathon round of a specific board game I'll likely do a longer post about later this week,
it is extremely beyond "later this week" but I did still want to talk about this!
So like a lot of nerds I enjoy board games, although I am not enough of an enthusiast (+have too many himbo wiggles) to play extremely in-depth ones where you have to sit for a PowerPoint presentation of rules.
(this is funny given that I play D&D, notorious especially in snooty indie circles for being clunky and rules-heavy)
ages ago I was looking for an interesting but more accessible game to play, kind of an "icebreaker" board game that isn't like........Clue (which, tbh, I tried to play a few years ago and found kinda boring or at least not what my childhood brain remembered it being) or Sorry or something like that. Not that there's anything wrong with those games, but I was seeking a step up from The Basic Childhood Spread without immediately super-graduating to Settlers of Catan &tc
I ended up finding Forbidden Desert!
https://gamewright.com/product/Forbidden-Desert
Since that one's come out there's also a Forbidden Jungle and a Forbidden Island, both of which I own and have played. I'm not really enough of a review-wordsmith to give a succinct lowdown on the game but I do recommend it and you can play with just two people! It's extremely accessible, and notably when my friends and I got hooked onto these games we would spend a few minutes at the beginning Doing a Bit and making characters off whatever role we drew. So sometimes we were a rag-tag band of sci-fi space pirates, sometimes we were shipwrecked sailors, sometimes we were steampunk revolutionaries, etc. Depending on what happened in the game we'd tell a fun story, and during the marathon round I mentioned we played all three games back-to-back telling a continuous story.
It's not how the game was meant to be played but it's so much fun I think I'd have a hard time playing it without doing a bit lmao